Pregnancy can bea wonderful experience, especially when receiving prenatal care from a nearby clinic. However, choosing the right obstetrician and practice isn’t as simple as obtaining a referral or random selection.
There are several major factors to consider when looking for a prenatal clinic besides location to help ensure that you find the best quality care:
- The kind of health care provider you want for your pregnancy care and the birth of your baby
Your options include:
- A board-certified obstetrician
- A family practice doctor
- A certified nurse-midwife
Each of these medical professionals has different training, skills, and views about prenatal care and childbirth, and your ultimate choice should depend on your health and the type of birth experience you prefer. Other considerations include:
- Any risk factors you may have for problems that might develop during your pregnancy and childbirth.
- Your preference toward natural childbirth versus prepared childbirth.
- Where you would like your baby to be born (at home or in the hospital)
- The kind of services the prenatal clinic offers
The three main components of high-quality prenatal care are risk assessment, health promotion and education, and therapeutic intervention. Therefore, be sure the clinic you are considering offers all three. These are important because they can help prevent or lead to timely recognition and treatment of any maternal or fetal complications.
The clinic you choose for your prenatal visits should offer physical exams, ultrasound, fetal heart doppler, prenatal vitamins, and appropriate lab work, as well any necessary social services assistance and education about your pregnancy.
During follow-up visits, your doctor, nurse, or midwife will not only examine you to make sure your pregnancy is developing smoothly and that you and your baby are healthy, but should also provide any counseling, education, and emotional and social support you require.
- The kind of rapport you have with your prospective prenatal care provider
Nine months of pregnancy can feel like an eternity – unless you have a caregiver with whom you feel comfortable and confident. More than just being qualified to oversee your pregnancy, your prenatal care professional should make you feel relaxed, be reassuring, and answer all your questions. They should have experience and expertise with a high-risk pregnancy, even if yours is healthy and amenable to providing you with a birthing plan that meets your unique needs and desires.
Quality Obstetrical Care in Lithonia, Decatur, and Stone Mountain, Georgia
If you are trying to become pregnant or are already seeking the finest prenatal care available, contact the OB-GYN specialists at Dekalb Women’s Specialists in Decatur, Stonecrest, and Stone Mountain, Georgia. At DeKalb Women’s Specialists, our team of highly trained and experienced physicians provides comprehensive and exceptional obstetrics care, including prenatal care that includes:
- Regular checkups
- Nutritional support
- Screening tests for mother and child
- Treatment for common pregnancy ailments
- Support for pregnancy problems and complications
- Labor and delivery counseling and support
We not only help ensure the health and safety of you and your baby while you’re pregnant – we can also help prepare you for a safe and rewarding labor and delivery experience. We aim to ensure you have a comfortable, safe, and memorable labor and delivery.