Benefits of Bioidentical Hormones
Supporters of bioidentical hormones claim they have many benefits over traditional hormone therapy, including:
- They’re custom for you because the prescriptions are created based on tests of your saliva.
- Many women experience less bleeding when taking natural progesterone
- It’s easy to test blood serum levels if a woman isn’t reacting well to the hormones
- Besides estrogen and progesterone, the prescription may include other hormones, such as testosterone, dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA), and adrenal hormones
- The mix of hormones included in the prescription can help correct most symptoms of menopause
Things to Keep In Mind if You’re Considering Bioidentical Hormones
There are some things to keep in mind if you’re considering using them:
- The effectiveness of any hormonal product depends greatly on the way it’s created. It’s important to work closely with a clinician to ensure it’s the right combination for you.
- Some women do benefit from the use of bioidentical hormones. However, there’s almost no scientific proof that they’re safe or more effective than commercially produced preparations.
- The FDA suggests using hormone therapy in low doses for a short period of time
Contact our office for more information on the use of bioidentical hormones.